My interest in holistic healing began as the result of a simple suggestion by a friend, but was driven on by my own struggle with back pain. Back in the 1980s, I was on a very conventional path, having just received my Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy. My career path was heading towards traditional orthopedic physical therapy and sports medicine, which was a natural extension of my background as an athlete, having played field hockey and softball in college. I had been dealing with back pain since I was in high school. I had been to a couple of doctors, and was told that I had “tight hamstrings and maybe a little bit of arthritis” – that was it. Nothing was said or done that helped me understand it or heal from it. I would get home from work, and have to lie down because the pain was so bad. And I was only in my early 20s. I went for conventional physical therapy treatments, which helped a lot at first, but only got me so far. When my physical therapist ran out of ideas, she recommended I see an osteopath she knew about. Despite his best intentions, after his treatments, I ended up in the worst pain I had ever been in. I was now in severe pain daily, and had no idea what else I could do to get help. I was getting pretty desperate, while I went about trying to live my life the best I could. Then a friend suggested take a course in Craniosacral Therapy, which I had never heard of before. Being fresh out of Physical Therapy school, I was always eager for more information. And, I was willing to try anything to get relief from my pain. So I decided to go.
That first Craniosacral Therapy class began a process that changed my life.
I was a bit skeptical at first, I must say. The course introduced me to the concept of “energy”, which I had never heard of before. I thought it was a little “out there”. But I was just desperate enough to keep an open mind. And I experienced things during that Craniosacral Therapy workshop that began to change the way I viewed the body. I learned that there was something going on in my body that other people could feel energetically that was directly related to the pain I was having. And I began to learn that my pain was connected to how I was feeling emotionally. After the course, I started working with a chiropractor and Craniosacral practitioner who worked in a way that was very new to me because it was so gentle. I felt like she gave me my body back because I was able to start skiing again and the pain that had been limiting me so much and causing me so much distress began to decrease. From there, I started going to a physical therapy practice that specialized in Craniosacral Therapy, and that began a healing journey that continues to this day. Through the bodywork, I uncovered a trauma history that I had repressed and that was directly related to a lot of the physical pain I was feeling. This process taught me firsthand how repressed emotions can manifest physically, and how healing on an emotional level leads to healing physically. So now I feel passionate about helping people deal with physical pain, especially as part of a holistic healing journey. It is incredibly powerful to help someone reconnect to that part of themselves that can guide them to deep healing. It is also incredibly powerful to help someone realize that there is so much more to them than traditional medicine would have them think.
My Qualifications as Holistic Bodyworker and Physical Therapist:
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Massachusetts, Lowell.
- Craniosacral Therapy training through the Upledger Institute, including Craniosacral Therapy I and II, Somatoemotional Release I and II, and Visceral Manipulation I.
- Yearlong Energy Training with Deborah Keir, a gifted energy healer, psychic and intuitive counselor, and a student of world renowned energy healer Rosalyn Bruyere.
- Over 6 years experience working with 2 of the most well known Craniosacral practitioners and Physical Therapists in eastern Massachusetts, Marcia Hood and Cindy Rowe.
- In addition to my healing experience, I also have 5 years experience working in the computer software industry as a quality assurance engineer from 1999 through 2005. This experience gave me firsthand knowledge of the stresses involved in working in the corporate world, and the physical stresses of desk work, knowledge which enables me to more fully understand the chronic stresses many of us face in our jobs.
If you’re ready to get help for your pain, please contact me at 781-507-4226 so we can discuss how I might be of service.